These cheesy puff pastry pigs in a blanket combine mini hotdogs with gruyere cheese, savory herbs and a flakey puff pastry shell for a gourmet version of the familiar appetizer. They are actually quick and easy to make but they taste amazing. They are perfect to serve for a family breakfast or as an appetizer or hors d’oeuvre at a party.
Mini Beef Hotdogs are juicy and delicious with excellent flavor but versatile enough to be flavored with different spices. I chose to use all-natural beef hotdogs because they are free from antibiotics, hormones, and artificial preservatives. Additionally, I think they have a much better taste.
Gruyere Cheese has a distinctive nutty taste that adds a savory flavor to the pigs in a blanket. It melts well and has a creamy texture, so it is perfect for the recipe.
Puff pastry dough is really the secret to these pigs in a blanket. Most people use crescent dough, but the puff pastry gives the pigs in a blanket a gourmet taste. The puff pastry turns crunchy and flakey when baked so it takes a good recipe and makes it amazing. Be sure to thaw out the puff pastry in the refrigerator.
Salt, Black pepper, Thyme, Paprika, and mustard powder are the spices I used to flavor the Pigs in a Blanket. This combination of spices made them taste delicious and flavorful.
I used an egg to seal the edges of the pigs in a blanket and to brush on top of them to give them a nice crispy golden-brown top.
Your kids will be begging you to make these delicious appetizers. Lucky for you, they are extremely simple to make. These cheesy puff pastry pigs in a blanket will quickly become a family favorite! Let us know if your family enjoys this recipe as much as ours does!
Cheesy Puff Pastry Pigs in a Blanket
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 package mini hot dogs
- 1 block Gruyere cheese
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Sprinkle flour on a countertop.
- Roll out the puff pastry into a thin rectangle.
- Use a knife to cut the dough into the same number of pieces as the number of mini hotdogs.
- Cut the Gruyere into little squares. You will probably have some left over.
- Put a Gruyere square on each puff pastry square.
- Put a mini hot dog on top of each piece of Gruyere.
- Combine spices in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the spices on top of the hot dogs.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl.
- Brush the beaten egg on the edges of the puff pastry squares.
- Roll up the squares and seal all the edges so that the cheese does not leak out.
- Brush the top with beaten egg and sprinkle with additional dried thyme.
- Place on a baking set that is covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 or until the tops are golden brown.